Click here for a printable version.
Young, enthusiastic ocean scientist
156 Las Colinas Drive, Watsonville, CA 95076
Air-sea Interactions, Surface Gravity Waves, Remote Sensing.
BS, Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, University of California, San Diego (Dec. 2020)
Minor, Mathematics, University of California, San Diego (Dec. 2020)
Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
Staff Research Associate 1 (Jan. 2021 – present)
Professor Sarah T. Gille Lab, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
Undergraduate Student Researcher (Dec. 2017 – Feb. 2021)
1 | Colosi, L. V., S. T. Gille, and A. B. Villas Bôas (2021), The Seasonal Cycle of Significant Waveheight in the Ocean: Local vs Remote Forcing, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, doi:10.1002/essoar.10506029.1
5 | International Ocean Vector Winds Science Team Meeting, Virtual (2021): Presented research finds discussed in Colosi et. al. 2021.
4 | AGU Ocean Science Meeting Poster, San Diego, CA (2020): Presented research findinds from Colosi et. al. 2021 with improved characterization of uncertainties.
3 | Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Symposium, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA (2019): I presented a poster on intraannual variability of waves and winds with further developments in statistical methods and quantifying uncertainties.
2 | Undergraduate Research Conference, UC San Diego, San Diego, CA (2019): Participant in the campus wide multidisciplinary research conference for undergraduate students where I presented to university professors and peers my ongoing research on intraannual variability of waves and winds, at global and regional scales, and its possible implications to the sea state.
1 | Scripps Undergraduate Research Symposium, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA (2018): I presented a poster on global and regional analysis of the annual variability of surface wave significant wave height.
2019 Summer URS Hiestand Scholarship for cross-disciplinary Engineering and SIO projects
2017-2019 Provost Honors at University of California, San Diego
California State Parks, Santa Cruz, CA
California State Parks Ocean Lifeguard (2015-2018)
Coordinator for the Sandman Triathlon (2018)
Software Carpentry Instructor, San Diego, CA (Aug. 2020 - present)
- Responsible for two day workshops teaching best practices for scientific computing to a broad range of audiences.
- Workshop curriculum focuses on the Unix shell, version control with Git, and programming in Python.
Software Carpentry Workshop Assistant, San Diego, CA (2019 - 2020)
- Assisted at workshop for Ocean and atmospheric science majors at UCSD (Summer 2019)
- Assisted at workshop for Scripps Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program (remote; Summer 2020)
Service, Leadership, & Community Engagement
- Moderator, SIO undergraduate majors’ quarterly meeting on “How to get into a SummerREU”, UC San Diego: I led group discussions guiding students interested in beginning ocean and atmospheric sciences research. 2020
- Tutor, Intermediate algebra, Gompers Preparatory Academy, San Diego, CA, 2020
- Student Minister, UC San Diego Newman Center, San Diego, CA: - Served and supported the student community at the UCSD Newman Center through leading community building events, coordinating off campus retreats, and participating in social justice activities such as feeding the homeless and food/clothing drives. 2017-2019
- Junior Lifeguard Instructor, California State Parks Santa Cruz, CA: Educated 6 to 14 year olds on lifeguarding skills and led discussions about ocean conditions and aquatic safety. 2015-2018
- Exhibit Guide, Seymour Marine Discovery Center, Santa Cruz, CA: Educated the public about exhibits involving marine organisms in their ocean environment. 2013
Operating Systems | Unix-based operating systems.
Programming Languages | Python, Bash, Shell-Script and MatLab.
Tools and Software | Jupyter notebooks, LaTeX, and version control systems (Git).